Monday, March 15, 2004

 

Odds and Ends (2)

I have got my smallpipes (more or less) up and running again, though I'll probably need to try once more with the tenor drone. It double-tones like a Highland pipe drone, requiring me to "strike in", not something I should have to do on smallpipes. I'll probably just buy a whole heap of cane from EJ. I did make another good drone reed, but the cane was too short for the tenor. I might put it in the alto drone (D) because it's a bit quieter than the one in there now.

Went to fiddle club yesterday, got even more great tunes out of it. Also got the packet of tunes for the spring dance, which I will be endeavouring to learn as quickly as possible.

I am really beginning to appreciate how stressful recording sessions are. I tried recording some fiddle and smallpipes this weekend to put up on my website, and I was horrified. I could never get it to where I was satisfied with it. Even my polished competition set fell short. I guess it's because you become your own harshest critic on a recording. This is a very good tool. I learned a lot about my weaknesses in phrasing and intonation, where I need to increase my dynamic range a bit. I also should remember what I liked: the accenting came off very well in most places. Still, I could spend a whole weekend recording just two tracks. No wonder musicians go on retreat... I do think I should invest in Apple's "Garage Band", and do some real low-end mixing. Just for practice.

I'm really looking forward to my Houston trip. So far, I'm thinking of bringing pipes, smallpipes, fiddle. flute, mandolin, and cittern. I'll probably do mandolin and cittern as checked baggage, and dissassemble the flute and pipes and carry those on. I'm going to get in a lot of practice on this trip.




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?