Thursday, April 08, 2004

 

Odds and Ends (3)

I've got back into the mandolin quite a bit recently, and my instructor has moved me on to some of O'Carolan's tunes, which are quite lovely, and - like a lot of the late 18th century Lowland Scottish tunes, clearly strongly influenced by Continental Baroque music. So far, I've learned O'Carolan's Draught, and this weekend I'm learning O'Carolan's Concerto.

More Kerry polkas on Irish fiddle. Philippe should be moving me onto jigs, and rolls, soon.

More strathspeys on Scottish fiddle. I think this week is the last that we look at repertoire strathspeys of PVSFC book 1, and will probably look at repertoire reels for the rest of the semester.

More strathspeys and reels on the pipes. I'm becoming much more comfortable with the pipe style of reels on practice chanter, but that's not translating to the full pipes well. I think it's because my snaps are way to spastic on the real chanter, so that's going to have to be the main focus of my work.

I'm sorting through registration forms for the various upcoming Games, and membership to EUSPBA and SFIRE. Missed the Southern Maryland Celtic Festival pipe competition registration by a day. Fortunately, they only do field registration for fiddle. I've got to take care of registration for the Houston Highland Games tonight, I think. What a lot of paperwork!

I talked with Anders, and he's begun to look at a few of the band's tune sets with an eye to arrangement. We're supposed to talk about a rehearsal schedual this weekend. I also should probably start looking at trademarking the band name and logo (and getting a logo), getting a business permit, and the like.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?