Monday, May 10, 2004

 

Costume Update (2)

I'm beginning to rethink my costuming plans. I'm not sure I want the same fabric on the waistcoat as on the jacket, at least for my main costume. I briefly considered using some of the yellow and black tartan for a waistcoat, but I think it'll clash too much. What I think I'll do is go to a fabric store and get some solid wool for the waistcoat, either brown or dark red. These seem to be the most common colors in the period portraiture. This would free up jacket material for use with hose, for a matching set.

If I'm careful, I may try to make a waistcoat in both the solid and the jacket tartan, for a more upper class impression, and if I'm careful, I'll be able to make the hose in that tartan as well. I'll definitely need to have fitting pieces for all the garments, then plan out my "attack" on the real fabric.

Another potential problem is that I've got all the tartan in a suiting fabric, which runs from 16 oz to 20 oz, typically. That's perfect for a waistcoat, hose, and great kilt, but may be a little light for a military-style coat, at least. I'm hoping that since I'm going for a civilian impression, suiting weight fabric will be acceptable. I need to check with reenactors on this. It certainly would be more comfortable for the local weather, and even in cold weather, I could wrap the great kilt over my shoulders.

That being said, all the tartan wool, linen, and osnaburg (for fitting pieces) is on order, and should arrive soon. I also have buttons, linen thread, a new dirk, basket hilt, and flintlock pistol (vent hole undrilled, but otherwise usable) on order. I wimped out and bought a simple workman's shirt in white linen pre-made, though when it comes to making a nicer ruffed shirt, I'll do that myself.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?