Saturday, May 29, 2004

 

Costume Update (3.5)

I took the tartan moggans (footless short-hose) I bought from The Tartan Museum online shop a while back (along with a more modest period dirk than I just got from Jas. Townsend), and restitched them so that they are now tight on my calf. Since I didn't have the material to cut them on the bias, it was quite the trick getting them loose enough so that they fit over my heel, but I think it worked out well - they're not too lose on the ankle, and are just about perfect on the calf. My hand-sewing also got a lot better by the 2nd moggan. I think by the time I'm doing my jacket and waistcoat, I should be fairly proficient at this. For the moggans I can tie around my calf both leather garters (which I have) and wool tape (which I don't, yet).

I also took a 34" square of the unbleached linen and will use it as a neckcloth. I'll probably hand-dye it black tomorrow, and wash it a few times to soften it up, since the fabric is somewhat stiff.

With the new linen shirt & neckcloth, wool moggans, and vegetable-tanned belt; added with the great kilt, bodkin pin, dirk, bonnet, and belt pouch I've had for a while, I now can for the first time do a completely accurate impression of a Highlander from the mid-17th to the mid-18th century. In this case, it's a bare-footed Highlander of modest means in warm weather, but still, I've come a long way from the semi-accurate hodge-podge that was my original costume. This is probably the outfit I will wear to the Potomac Celtic Festival this year. I may also wear the tweed short-coat I wore last year to finish up the costume.

If I can lay my hands on a red deer hide, I can make my currans (moccasins), but for now if I have to wear shoes, I'll get by with the semi-accurate leather ones from Tartanweb.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?