Tuesday, August 10, 2004

 

I'm taking the band in strange new directions... burp

It occurs to me that if I'm ever going to play piobaireachd, competantly, not only to win at lower levels of competition, but to perform it, I have to start listening now. Despite the differing schools, I need to get it in my head before I can really play it with feeling and, more importantly, understanding.

So I've bought several CDs of ceol mor, including the first in the Nicol/Brown series, and have created a special playlist on my iPod, so I can listen to just piobaireachd.

And you know what? The stuff is starting to grow on me. I'm sure my pipe instructor will quip, "I'm sorry to hear that", but it is beautiful in its own way - if very alien. But knowing Lament for the Old Sword, and listening for similarities in the tunes, I feel like I'm beginning to see how it all fits together.

On another note, I've decided to take a month off from Irish fiddle lessons. This competition and travel schedule - not to mention everything else going on at home - is murder, and I'm just not getting the practice in. Hopefully my teacher will take me back!



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?