Tuesday, December 07, 2004

 

Where is "Reenactor" in the Geek Hierarchy?

I paraded with the Appin regiment, a 1745 Jacobite reenactor group, for the first time on Sunday. Wearing my heavy blue-and-red belted plaid, a linen shirt with a collar I modified, black-and-red tartan hose I made (with much help), a cravat, a borrowed red waistcoat and green-and-brown tartan doublet, I cut quite the figure. I was also armed to the hilt: basket hilt sword, dirk, and steel-framed pistol, and a very nice targe slung over my back. To judge from the comments I heard from the crowd, many were especially impressed by me, I looked the proper clan gentleman. Next year, I hope to pipe in the parade, playing old tunes from the Patrick McDonald and Simon Fraser and William MacGibbon collections, and some "gathering" and "battle" pibrochs.

After the parade, we had a party at one member's house, and then the annual meeting at another's, where I was officially voted in as a member. Guess I gots to pay my dues now.

Sunday was the Scottish session at the Royal Mile, and we had some good times. There was better overall turnout this time, and there were two strong fiddlers (myself included), but we had a strong guitarist show up, and eventually a very good piano-accordion player.

I've decided on one song to add to The Devil's Tailors' repertoire: "Sergeant Where's Mine", by famous comic Billy Connolly. The song is not comic at all, though, but tells the tale of a wounded Scot who served in the British army during the troubles in Northern Ireland in the '70s, who it is suggested is living with the guilt on firing on young protesters, reflecting on the unfulfilled promises his recruiter made him when he signed up. Very poignant, and very timely.

My resin pipes arrived today, and I mostly set them up (except for the cords). I may spend some time messing with the drone reeds to get them to my satisfaction, but it sounds pretty decent to my ear. We'll see what my instructor thinks today.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?