Tuesday, February 08, 2005

 

Devil's Tailors - Rehearsal #3

Anders and I got a lot of good work done on our 3rd rehearsal. We looked at most of our sets, and Anders took home recordings of most of what we did. Some of the new tunes got arrangements, and we were generally tighter.

My intonation still needs work, but I'm beginning to figure out why. I don't know if it's worse because of the new violin, or, because the overtones are so much stronger, it's just easier to hear on the new violin. Probably a little of both. But I have a good sense of the corrections I need to make to improve it. I also need to become more consistent in my swing - inconsistent swing sounds like a timing hiccup on a recording, even when I'm staying on-beat.

Indeed, I'm really appreciating that I need to record myself more often, for direct feedback on my playing.

Fiddle club was very fruitful - Elke gave us a lot of great tunes, and Anders took some ideas on the Scottish style of accompaniment from our pianist/accordian player (as opposed to Irish, which he has mostly done in the past).

Next rehearsal weekend (Mar 11-14), we'll work on intros/bridges/endings and arranging for more and different instruments.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?