Friday, March 11, 2005

 

What a difference a week makes

So I went back and spent a week on the technique on the strathspeys I was having trouble with on pipes, marking all the weights of the beats, drawing ties to indicate all quadruplets, and focussing on execution. When I went to my lesson, wow, what a difference. I played Bob of Fettercairn and Maggie Cameron with my instructor, and both were coming along very well. Also, I think I'm beginning to get the hang of interpreting the scansion in Struan Robertson's Salute, which I've also managed to more or less memorize.

Moving out into the repertoire strathspeys & airs in fiddle club books 1-6, Elke and I looked at a few cool tunes. Hamish Henderson's Refusal being the coolest so far, especially since that's a Royal Mile jam session favorite (at least among one of the regulars). Loads of fun.

The session went well, but was lightly attended. Maybe next month we'll grab some more people. This weekend Anders is coming to rehearse; also we have fiddle club and an Alasdair Fraser concert. Looking forward to the fun.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?