Wednesday, June 29, 2005

 

Another Musical Weekend

This weekend saw some interesting developments on the musical end.

It started off with a gift Anders gave me Thursday night - a 19th century book of Scottish songs, with biographical information about the songwriters. The book is very expansive, and there's a lot of obscure material in there. I can't wait to discover the lost gems in it. Some I might have to set to music, some come with known tunes. The book is in very perilous shape, and I may have to give it over to a conservationist, after carefully photographing each page. Once the contents have been reproduced, it may spend its days under glass from then on. But that makes it even more priceless as a gift, so thanks, Anders!

On Friday, I had the rare opportunity of performing the opening set for up-and-coming country singer Michael Joseph at an American Cancer Society "Relay For Life" benefit. Anders is playing for him right now, and got the idea of having me play a tune on pipes before the main concert. With Anders on guitar, Maggie Drennon Band veteran Matthew Williams, and a great bassist Matt (can't remember the last name), I played Hector the Hero on my A440 pipes. Anders gave me a great introduction, and everyone seemed to have a good reaction to it. Anders set the tempo, which was faster than my slow air delivery, and they eventually pushed it into a waltz - I finally gave in to my inner waltziness the second time through. But in a way, that gave the tune a story, made it develop. It sounded awesome. My first gig backed by a band!

Saturday was a competition at the Western Massachusetts Highland Games. A smaller games again, but the weather was nice, and the drive up marvelous. Some great views of the mountains and clear rivers up that way. I took a 2nd in 2/4 march (out of about 12 competitors) and 4th in piobaireachd (out of about 17 competitors), and was pretty happy with that. The judges main comments, here and at Harrisburg, were about crossing noises. So that's my new area to work on. My blowing has become a lot steadier, so that's one hurdle climbed. I'd like to give a shout-out to Rob Risczk at this point - he took piper of the day, and had just beat me out in the piobaireachd at Southern New Hampshire, and is an example of the really great folks that populate Grade IV Sr.

My friend Kim Dyer joined us for a rehearsal session for "Cairn o' Mount" on Saturday afternoon, and WOW! That girl has a voice. Amateur, like me, but definitely a diamond in the rough. I mistakenly assumed that she was singing in unison with me because her range didn't go high enough for an octave unison (creating what Anders called "a mid-range mush"), but Anders pushed her in that direction, said it was probably what I heard in my head (he was right), and when she gave it a try, things really started to sound awesome. Since she played drums in High School, I've loaned her my bodhran, and she seems to be taking to it. We're not making any firm committments on either side, but it looks as if, though the Devil's Tailors hasn't yet found its third member, it's at least found a very strong candidate. At the same time, Kim, who had never heard me sing before, was very impressed by my own voice, so that was both comforting and promising.

And while I was away, some packages arrived: the complete William Marshall collection, and the Masters of Piobaireachd Vol. 7 CD. Great resource material there.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?