Thursday, June 16, 2005

 

Two weekends of competition, and Living History

Competition season rolls on.

Weekend before last, I took a 1st in 2/4, a 3rd in piobaireachd, and a 5th in 6/8 march (would have done better, but lost my bass drone) at the Southern New Hampshire Highland Games. I was fairly happy with those results.

I wasn't quite as happy with my showing last weekend, at the Harrisburg Pipes and Drums Festival in Harrisburg, PA. I took a 2nd in Slow Air, and a 5th in 2/4 march, and didn't place in the piobaireachd or 6/8 contests - the former because the judge felt I underblew and played too slowly, the latter because I forgot how the tune went in the 4th part, both on the first time through and on the repeat. I covered it well, kept going, didn't lose the beat, but it was enough to put me out of the running. In all cases, the judges said I played well.

I drove straight from Harrisburg, PA to Leesburg, VA for the Potomac Celtic Festival. I arrived moments too late for the City of Alexandria Pipes and Drums' 2:00 PM set, but was able to perform at their 4:00 PM set and massed bands at 5:00 PM, and did two solos and two sets with three other bandsmen at 4:30. When the band departed, I headed off to the Living History area, and spent the rest of the weekend reenacting with the Appin regiment. We left fairly soon after I joined them on Saturday, and went to group leader Dan Gilbert's house for BBQ, swimming pool, and a couch to crash on. Sunday morning, we returned to the festival, and I put on living history demonstration about 18th century Scottish Highland music all day. Unfortunately, this kept me very busy, and I didn't see much else of the festival, but I still had a blast. Next year, I definitely need to schedule some more "me time".

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?