Wednesday, July 20, 2005

 

Piping update: my GDE sucks

My pipe teacher has taken me off strathspeys for the time being to back up and work on my grace note chops. Apparently I'm not lifting my fingers enough for my grace notes, and (counter-intuitively), my d-grace notes are too big. This is especially evident in my strathspey triplets, especially the low-hand triplets that use the GDE pattern of gracing.

So he's sent me off to learn some jigs that use the GDE - Banjo Breakdown, Paddy's Leather Breeches, The Piper's Bonnet, Jig of Slurs.

My biggest single problem in my execution, it appears, is that I clench the chanter too tightly. Many of my other execution issues either stem from or are exacerbated by this. So while practicing my jigs, I'll be trying to keep as loose a grip on the chanter as I can.

Still #2 in the EUSPBA overall (but tied now), down to tied for #4 in piobaireachd.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?