Monday, November 14, 2005

 

Year End Standings

I'm still waiting on the results of my Upgrade Request, but the official year-end standings are in.

Out of 797 pipers in Grade IV Senior in the Eastern US Pipe Band Association, I ranked 4th in both overall and piobaireachd. My points per competition was a bit disappointing, so consistency will be my main goal for next year.

We're working on new tunes in pipe band: a set of march, air, strathspeys, and reel for the Broadswords dance; and Christmas tunes for a single concert. There are a disturbing number of Christmas tunes that fit the big pipes. I've been off the big pipes for a week or so, mainly because of a bit of bronchitis.

On fiddle, Elke and I have continued pouring through the Gow and Marshall collections. There are some great barely-known tunes in there. And Marshall sure likes the key of Bb.

We visited the first Gow collection in fiddle club, learning (among others) an intermediate strathspey version of Auld Lang Syne.

Additionally, I've begun a a blog for the DC-area Scottish sessions, which is where I'll keep track of the goings on at both The Royal Mile and the fiddle club sessions, and any other Scottish sessions I may come across. When I comment on the sessions here, it'll be more from my personal perspective.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?