Saturday, December 24, 2005

 

Of Uilleanns and Philabegs

I should be starting up some regular work on the Uilleann pipes again soon. One of Elise's flute students (the one I ran into at the Christmas walk) and I will be working together to self-teach the Uilleann pipes. I will loan-to-own her my spare practice Uilleann set, and play the other. I recently reeded them up with the 3rd generation plastic reeds from Bagpipes Galore, and they sound pretty good. The intonation isn't perfect, but the 2nd octave is well behaved, and that's more important for a synthetic practice instrument. I already sorta know most of the fingering (except low C-nat, and high C# and D), so a little time each day on it should produce results, and improve my bellows skills for the smallpipes too.

My other bellows pipes, the Scottish smallpipes, have been sent off to EJ to fix a cracked mount and some other routine maintenance.

My practice on the big pipes has mostly been confined to getting caught up with the band repertoire, but since there are strathspeys and reels in there, I'm getting double duty. I have been spending time on the A-440 pipes, mostly practicing my Devil's Tailor's pipe set, and 18th century pipe tunes out of the Patrick McDonald Collection. I need to get back on the piobaireachd soon, probably when the new reeds for the A-440 chanter arrives.

Fiddle has been more Gow and Marshall. I'm really loving this late 18th/early 19th century stuff. Very delicate. We just finished the Bb section in Marshall (I am so in love with that key!), and are still on Gow strathspeys in all sorts of keys. The C-minor strathspey was nice, as was the D-modal one that is built around D and Em chords, instead of D and C chords. It almost has the feel of an E-dorian tune (like Bog an Lachan) turned inside out!

My replacement C-whistle is on order, and the Appins generously paid for its replacement. Yay Appins!

Today was spent sewing on buttons on my period and modern Highland outfits. I also stitched in the pleats for my 18th century philabeg, pleating the front apron as per the Joseph McDonald illustration. I haven't quite worked out the best way to put it on, but once it is on, it looks great! Especially with Gerry's longer waistcoat and jacket. Once I have my own short waistcoat and jacket, I'll probably sew a longer one of my own to wear with the philabeg. Or at least a longer jacket.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?