Monday, January 09, 2006

 

A Few News Items

I had a good meeting with the people over at Potomac Overlook Park. They want me to do 6 90 minute shows over the spring, and if it works out, they'll be looking to give me the "artist in residence" slot. It'll be tough to get accompanists, but I'll see what I can do. It will be a fun little promotional thing.

I got my smallpipes back from EJ, and they're awesome. His new reeds take so little air and are so easy that it's hard not to overblow and go sharp. But a very light touch, and it's in perfect A-440 tune. He's changed the drone configuration for me with new drone reeds too: a treble drone that can tune to E or D, tenor and bass drones in A, and a baritone drone in D. That gives me a lot of flexibility for playing with both the A and D chanters. I played it a bit for Rosemary yesterday, and she thought it sounded gorgeous.

Speaking of Rosemary, she came over for an Uilleann pipe "lesson" and a rehearsal. That went very well; we went through the entire repertoire, which she played on wooden flute where she could and silver when she couldn't. She also indicated a desire to play some tunes (Coilsfield House, for example) on alto flute, which has the same range as the fiddle. We also talked about the songs we're looking at, and she was equally excited.

Now the big task is orchestration and arrangement. We're beginning to get some good ideas...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?