Monday, August 21, 2006

 

Weekend Roundup

Well, it was a light weekend for music & reenacting. I've been working up a number of alow airs and slow marches for this upcoming gig at Arlington Cemetary on Sunday morning. Here are the ones I'm looking at, starting with the ones I already know:
Slow March of the 74th HLI
My Dearest Dear
Hector the Hero
Bells of Dunblane
Amazing Grace
24th Guards Brigade at Anzio
(played slowly)
Flowers of the Forest
Flight of the Eaglets
Leaving St. Kilda
Mist Covered Mountains
My Home
My Lodging is on the Cold Ground


And I might finish it off with a retreat, like Kilworth Hills, again played slowly. I already know the first six and the last; I've almost memorised the next 3, and the next 3 after that are kinda familiar already. I think that should cover walk-in/walk-out music nicely. It's surprising how quickly the tunes are coming.

September's Royal Mile session is cancelled because of a wedding reception; since it's on my birthday, I think I'll hold it at my house instead. Play from 3-6, then dinner & party. I'll try to get some other friends over for the later part, and Andy's already agreed to be grillmeister. Should be fun.

I finished my waistcoat's phase 1 this weekend, that is, the sleeveless version. I stitched the last buttonhole, and sewed up the last armhole, and laced up the back with some 1/4" white cotton tape. I might switch to linen tape in the future. Looks good, fits well, but would fit even better if I were to lese a few. Now begins phase 2: the sleeves. I made the fitting piece, and am almost done with the sleeve linings. I've also pinned the tartan wool to itself to maintain the sett, ready to pin the patterns to and cut out. The buttonholes/eyelets will be the tedious part - again. I should have the full sleeved waistcoat ready for Ligonier. Then what next? Part of me wants to launch right ahead with the short-coat, the other says "do a longer shirt!" I read over the 18th century shirt pattern instructions, and it seems pretty straightforward. Only one layer, with a couple gussets and reinforcements and a collar - and only three buttonholes! On the other hand, I do have a working (if short) shirt already, and I'd definitely like to have the shortcoat ready by the Xmas walk, or even by the Richmond Games in late October.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?